Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mexican Food Fiesta


Last week many of us celebrated Cinco de Mayo which I have recently learned is actually the holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, NOT Mexico's Independence Day, as I had originally thought. While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. For me and my family, it's another great opportunity to celebrate enjoying the brilliance of Mexican cuisine!

So we decided to have a fun little fiesta dinner at the Casa de Shelton last Wednesday evening and I wanted to share all of the recipes we made with you here on this episode of Foodie Friday. I hope this video and these recipes will inspire you to get your Mexican Fiesta on!!


Simple Celebration Salsa

2 cups fresh, ripe tomatoes
1 chile, seeded & diced (use Serrano or jalapeño)
2 limes, juiced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
a generous pinch of sea salt
freshly cracked pepper to taste

You can either chop all ingredients by hand, or use a food processor if you prefer your salsa less chunky. If you like a sweeter salsa, add 1/4 cup chopped mango for a wonderful addition.


The Best Guacamole
from my book, Raw Food Cleanse

While vacationing in San Fransisco back in 1998, I had the pleasure of dining at the hottest new Mexican restaurant in town. It was the freshest, most delicious guacamole I ever had and I was able to talk the waitress into having the chef write down the ingredients for this little Oklahoma girl. I still have the napkin this recipe is scribbled on.

2 large ripe avocados
fresh cilantro
Serrano chiles
diced tomatoes
fresh lime juice, be generous
red onions, diced
fresh garlic, minced
sea salt

Amounts....you'll just have to guess like I do! Mash the avocados i a bowl first and then add the other ingredients to taste.

For 4 additional delicious, healthy and festive recipes & photos, Click here.
blog comments powered by Disqus