Friday, January 25, 2008

Raw American Style

At the beginning of the 2008, I began a personal experiment or challenge, if you will. Although I have been primarily raw for just under 3 years, I still felt like I had not entered fully into some aspect of "the magic," I kept hearing about from other raw foodists. Having just turned 42, I felt an intensification in my desire to obtain that vibrancy, energy, slenderness and inner glow of youthful rejuvenation that I see in others, even in those raw foodies that are many years my senior. Being plump has always been something I have struggled with and now, more than ever, I was ready to put an end to the fight and conquer that chubby demon once and for all.

So, as December came to a close, I took a period of time to reflect and evaluate what seemed to be missing in my equation. The first thing I listed was the lack of exercise. Having never been a real mover or shaker, physically speaking, I realized that I had just not given bodily activity a real priority in my daily life. The second thing that popped into my thinking - I was still holding onto a few items in my diet that could be keeping me from that proverbial raw glow....items like raw dairy, the occasional sashimi and the daily sneak of morning coffee with its addictive caffeine blast. In my last post I detailed my open affair with alcohol, so that was an obvious player that surfaced during this self-evaluation. And then the subject of hydration came to mind. This raw girl always drank her juicy juice, but how much pure water was I taking into this gloriously curvaceous temple everyday? Certainly not enough to be properly hydrated and to promote weight loss.

Whew, it turned out to be quite a list of possible offenders. Fighting back the urge to go misty eyed over the prospect of giving up all of these close chums, I chose to not get emotional but to get a game plan of how I was going to make the positive changes I felt necessary and cross that unknown abyss into the raw promised land. So, that is exactly what I did. For once in my life, I made a plan and am now working it. I am finding it to be empowering and exhilarating instead of difficult and limiting. What's different this time is nothing more than in the details and in my thinking. Choosing to focus only on the positives and what works has been simple yet such a paradigm shift to me. Instead of being sad about what I'm "giving up," I am excited and motivated by what I am adding and how it's impacting my overall sense of self worth and personal value.

So here I am, into the fourth week of January, and I have already developed a new lifestyle. I go to the gym or walk/run outside 5 or 6 mornings a week. I have my little rebounder that I jump on daily (only about 10-20 minutes) and I have a couple of Rainbeau Mars yoga tapes that I occasionally pop into the DVD player (about twice a week). I drink roughly 85 ounces of pure water each day, along with about a gallon of green shake and/or green juice daily, which generally ends up getting me through breakfast and lunch. At happy hour I enjoy a kombucha or rejuvelac cocktail with my husband and then we indulge in a beautiful high raw, *beegan* dinner each night. Now how hard is that?

Here comes the real stats....what you've been wanting to know:

Since January 1st, I have lost 11 pounds. My skin is softer and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles have noticeably improved on my face and hands. I no longer have the darkness and puffiness under my eyes upon awakening. My cankles are showing signs of dainty definition. My hips are starting to draw inward and my lady lumps are losing their bootyliciousness. I rejoice and I grow increasingly more inspired each day. It is true that I still have about 30 pounds that need to find release, but all in due time. Ultimately, I am not as much about the number on the scale as I am about how I feel on the inside. And right now, it feels like Rubyvroom is getting her groove back.

*beegan - the newish term for vegans who occasionally indulge in honey or bee pollen.*

8 comments:

Candice Davis said...

Awesome! Congratulations on making a change (or a few)! There's nothing better than having a plan and taking charge of what you can control. I wish you continued success.

Jenny said...

honest + appealing post, yet again! yay you. .. and continued luck and love on your "juicy" journey!!!
oh and i love the newfangled twitter tool on the side, very hi-tech with photos, etc.
i may have to get you to teach me!!
xx jenny

Heidi and JS said...

Ruby - Your beauty and youth only increase with time. You are a shining star in this world.

Congrats on the new perspective and routine...obviously, it's working!

~ JS
Raw Food, Right Now!

About Me said...

You look so beautiful! Wow! This post brought me a lot of joy today :)

JuJu's Place said...

WOW! I've needed to lose 30 -or so- :) pounds for a few years and wondering why I couldn't- your blog just gave me the answers-while I eat fairly raw, I don't have a 'plan'- my little caffine indulgences and the little handful of M&Ms that 'won't hurt'- and the sad thought of 'giving that up'--- now I know it's my thinking about it all that's all wrong-- THANK YOU for your blog and many blessings to you! I'll be changing my thinking right along with ya! Happy new you!

Anonymous said...

This is so inspiring!
Living in the land of pasta and pizza its not easy to adhere to a purely raw diet. I do most of the time but its sort of an issue. I am so inspired by you and your commitment to a better lifestyle. I too am 42 and have about 40 lbs to release. Thank you for being such a role model and example. Hugs xo Dea

shannonmarie said...

Good job, but I'd never consider you to be plump. You're beautiful!

I like that you are using the "Bee"gan term.

melindapollard said...

Hey I found your blog, I started a raw blog too! You're doing so great, I love reading your blog! I was wondering have you had any success with the bee pollen, I've been looking into it, but I'd love to know how you like it.