Monday, April 19, 2010

A Day In My Life


Often people write to me asking if I can share with them what I eat in a day. I've never really officially tackled putting a food log together, but felt that as we are just starting to find our stride with this new 11 Week Initiative on Raw Food Rehab, it would be an appropriate time to share the flow of my personal eating habits with all of you.

Remember, the following menu plan is based on a typical day. I veer off to incorporate a little gourmet raw food entrée or wonderful raw dessert when I feel like putting a bit more elbow grease into it, but what you see below is the simplicity of how I dine on a daily basis. I am also not 100% raw all the time, nor do I feel compelled to make my diet into something that feel like religious dogma. My plan is really simple as I just purpose to eat as well, real and raw as I can on any given day.

Upon Arising: Drink 2 tall glasses of pure water w/ fresh lemon juice (take 4 MSM capsules)

Before Noon: Green Juice, usually a bit sweet....sometimes I make a smoothie, but it depends on my mood (I take a Multi-Vitamin & B12 at this time) additionally, I may go for some fresh fruit, but usually the 32 oz of juice satisfies me for a few hours

Lunch: Blended Soup (sometimes it's a salad or marinated veggies)

Mid-Afternoon: Savory Green Juice

Dinner: Hummus or a seed pate w/ cut carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper & celery

I often snack on kale chips, corn chips or flax crackers if I feel the need to nosh! I also make an effort to drink pure spring water throughout the day, in between meals.

Many of my very favorite recipes can be found in my book, Raw Food Cleanse, and my eBook, Healthy Raw Solutions.


Here is what a typical shopping list looks like for me:

apples
berries
pineapple
bananas
lemons
limes
celery
cucumbers
zucchini
broccoli
beets w/ tops
carrots
cabbage
tomatoes
ginger
LOTS of leafy greens (including kale, dandelion, arugula & romaine)
shallots
garlic
apple cider vinegar
cold pressed olive oil
stone ground mustard
raw tahini
raw honey
flax seeds
hemp seeds
sunflower seeds

*I do buy organic or at my local farmers market whenever possible*

Regular healing herbs/spices I use often & try to grow:

basil
cayenne
chives
cilantro
jalapeño
mint
oregano
parsley
rosemary
turmeric
thyme

I am also growing several wild edibles this year like; nasturtium, lambsquarters, purslane, and beetberry.

I also encourage you to check out John Koehler's amazing videos on how he is planting a sustainable, survival garden in his yard. His lifestyle totally inspires me to take my love of real food to the next level!
blog comments powered by Disqus