Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday with Assisi

From time to time I veer off the subject of food and health related topics to allow a glimpse into the more personal side of my life. As I awoke today, earlier than usual for a Sunday morning, I reflected upon an email that I received yesterday from a long time friend who had mentioned that she would like to see something about my faith on my blog bio. As I pondered this, it made me think of a quote that my husband shared from a recent funeral he attended. It is a classic quote from St. Francis of Assisi......."Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."

That quote seems to sum up my feelings regarding how I approach the sharing of my faith. Although I do attend church regularly, I don't consider myself to be a religious person. In my life I've observed that religion & religious people, in spite of well meaning intentions, can do a fine job of running people out of the church. Because of this, I try to be sensitive to and respectful of where people are spiritually. I am not one to proselytize, however, I am also not ashamed of my faith nor am I timid to state that I am eternally grateful for my relationship with Christ. I am also tremendously blessed to have a smorgasbord of friends, family and acquaintances from around the globe, many of whom have differing faiths.


In researching this quote, I ran across a number of other quotes by this most beloved Catholic saint and have put together a small selection I'd like to share with you on this lovely Sabbath morning. Regardless of your personal beliefs and faith, I hope that today you'll take strength and comfort in these words from St. Francis' timeless guidance and wisdom.

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
"

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

"Lord, grant that I might not so much seek to be loved as to love.
"

"Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love."

"If God can work through me, he can work through anyone. "
blog comments powered by Disqus