Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Robin's Story

artwork by SherriK

This letter came across my desk today from Robin in Little Rock, Arkansas, one of the members of Raw Food Rehab. Stories like this inspire, encourage, motivate and they are why I continue to do what I do so passionately:

"Hi Penni.....I started out with this raw food experiment just wanting to feel better and especially, to lose weight. I felt like the extra weight was just dragging me down. I felt uncomfortable in my skin, and embarrassed about how I looked.


I'm only at the beginning of week 7 and I’ve already lost 15 lbs. (Actually 16, I lost another lb since Sunday.) It’s really hard to believe. Yet I expected it in a way, knowing if I really stuck to it, the weight would release. What I REALLY didn’t imagine was how much better I would feel. The weight loss seems now like icing on the cake compared to the other changes I’m experiencing.


I was having numerous pre-menopausal symptoms that were becoming more and more uncomfortable and unsettling, but since June 1, things have been perfectly normal and regular. My moods have been really stable, which is a real breakthrough!


I’ve had skin issues most of my life. I’m very fair complexioned with very sensitive skin. I’ve had problems with acne, eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea. My nose constantly had this crustiness that would peel off. That’s gone, and it’s just smooth now. I spent a lot of time on make-up. I now have no blemishes, no eczema or psoriasis and the rosacea is mild. I actually am not sure if the redness is due to that, or just being out in the sun a lot. I don’t have weird skin anymore! I go a lot of days without makeup. I actually have run out of my foundation make-up completely and just wear eye makeup and lipstick when I do wear makeup.


About 3 weeks into this, my husband started commenting on my skin. He couldn’t get over how smooth and soft it had gotten all over. He sure likes the softer lips, too! I’ve been using coconut oil quite a bit, and sometimes I cut some aloe vera from the plant on the porch and rub it on.


I’ve had depression problems since I was a teen. I was told by doctors that I would have to take meds for the rest of my life, but I would always stop because I didn’t like the side effects. I did discover several years ago that exercise was my key to removing that dark cloud, so I’ve tried to maintain an exercise program for that reason. I usually stop at some point every year for some reason, like a trip, or get really busy. Then, it’s hard to get back into it...I know many people have this same story.


This year, I stopped exercising in March, so I started back in June along with the raw food. Before that I was really feeling down and depressed and doing a lot of self-loathing. I was sleeping a lot, as much as 10-14 hours a day. I was trying to sneak a nap in everyday, and I’d still be tired.


After starting Raw Food Rehab, I felt better after a week, and then much better after 2 to 3 weeks. And now, I have no symptoms whatsoever. My thinking is positive. I can concentrate. My thinking is clearer than it has been in years. I sleep 7 or 8 hours now and get through the afternoons just fine. I have plenty of energy to get through the day. Even my nails are smoother (I had ridges), my hair is fuller.


The biggest change is that somehow, this is changing me spiritually. I do believe that body, mind and spirit all work together and when you improve in one area, it feeds into the other areas. I feel closer to God, and I have faith that everything’s going to be okay, no matter what. I’m enjoying the journey right now. Not worrying about what’s already happened, or what might happen later. Just enjoying life as it is right now.


If that’s not enough, my marriage has improved. I don’t think I need to explain why, as the reasons above state it all. I am excited that my husband is doing his best to go raw now, and has lost a few lbs. He’s diabetic, so I wanted to do this as much for him as for myself. I just wanted you to know that this has changes my life and I don’t know how or if I could have done it without you."


Robin, thank you so much for your willingness to share your story with the readers here. Blessings and continued good health and vitality to you!!

blog comments powered by Disqus