Monday, December 1, 2008

The Hi-Def Salad


The Associated Pressed recently released an interview with Jason Mraz. In the article, Jason talks about recording his third studio album, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. There is also talk of his newly released book, A Thousand Things: Photographs by Jason Mraz. Jason goes on to discuss his most memorable moment on tour, but the part of the article I wanted to highlight was at the end, when he was asked the question, "Between studio sessions, live shows and the book, what are you doing in your free time?" Jason says....."I spend a lot of my time, most of the time, preparing food, believe it or not. I wake up every day and I start my day with a supersmoothie, which has about 24 ingredients in it, everything from a whole avocado to various powders and formulas. And everything is raw. I also prepare raw salads. Most people think you get bored eating salads all the time, but these are some of the most hi-def salads you'll ever lay your eyes on."

I've noticed that one of the common denominators between really successful raw foodist is this very pattern.....a powerful super smoothie/shake in the morning and a mega-nutritious salad for lunch/dinner. On my most successful raw days, this is what I do and I always feel my very best when this is the mainstay of my intake. I want to share what my personal favorite rawliscious, "hi-def" salad has in it below, but I'd really love to hear from you. What is your very favorite salad, and how do you dress it? Tell me about it in the comments....what does it have in it and when do you typically eat it in your day? Also feel free to share your very favorite super smoothie recipe too!

Ruby's Rawliscious Hi-Def Salad

4 cups mixed greens
handful of cherry or grape tomtoes
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/4 of a cucumber, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, shredded
a handful of sprouts
sliced sweet, hot peppers
2 tbsp. hemp nut seeds
1 tsp + spirulina

Vibrant Lemon Vinaigrette

3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. raw honey or agave nectar
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
blog comments powered by Disqus