Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jalapeno Corn Chips - Day 83

I know it sounds like an odd entry title for someone who is juice feasting, but I've had people coming out of the woodwork and literally knocking on my door for my corn chip recipe since Bunny Berry told the world about that crunchy raw goodness! Well, the truth is that I have a number of raw chip recipes that I use...all are fantastic, but the one I'll post is from Sarma Melngailis', Raw Food Real World. I used to sell these chips by the basket loads at our local farmer's market here in Tulsa. Since I don't do the market anymore, I just make these treats for my family and friends. Besides my raw granola, this recipes is by far everyone's favorite.

jalapeƱo corn tortilla chips
3 cups fresh corn, from about 3 ears (or use frozen, thawed sweet corn)
1 1/2 cup red or orange bell pepper
1/2 cup onion
3/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup hemp seeds, optional
1 tbs fresh lime juice
1 – 2 jalapenos, seeds removed
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sea salt
  1. In a food processor, chop the corn, bell pepper, and onion until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until just combined.
  2. Using an offset spatula, spread the dough thinly onto three 14 inch Teflex lined dehydrator trays. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 6 – 8 hours, or overnight. Flip the sheets over onto the tray and carefully peel away the liners. Break or cut w/ a pizza cutter into chip shapes. Place back in the dehydrator for 4 – 6 hours, or until crisp. Store in an airtight container for a week or two.
Thursday's Daily Juice:
1 qt. orange juice w/ spirulina
1 quart green lemonade
1 qt. pineapple, cilantro, parsley, red bell pepper, cucumber, lemongrass, thai pepper, coconut water, flax oil, lime juice.
1 qt. master cleanse.

11 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Yes, these chips are fab! I love corn chips and having a raw version is great for me since I love to sit down with a bowl full of chips, salsa and guacamole. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm these sound divine,
I will definately be trying these once I am done with the juice feast.
You are just lovely :)
xo Dea

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the corn chips recipe :-)

You are amazing for even being able to think about such things on a juice feast!

loulou said...

Penni you're such a sweetie to send Bunny Berry a care package :)
I have a question about the corn chips: do you grind the flax seeds first? The ones in Bunny's video looked super fine and crispy, which makes me think that perhaps the flax is mixed in once it's already a fine flour?
Do you use the RFRW grawnola recipe? I do, I use cherries and raspberries for the fruit and it disappears in days here :)

lots of love to you, with ONLY 9 DAYS TO PRUNE DAY!!! xxx

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Just catching up on your blog. You are sooooo sweet to send Bunny all those treats! I love the recipes from RFRW too, but I've never tried the corn chips. I will have to try them soon!
Thoughts and prayers for your family. I hope things are getting better.
XOXOXOXXO
Pixy Lisa

Western Doughty said...

I have had your chips and they are the bestest in the freakin world. I will pay you one million peso for a bag. Please. PLEASE!!!!!

Vegannosaurus Rex said...

All is now right with the world...

Anonymous said...

These are so in the dehydrator right now!

Mikey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mikey said...

I'm going to Pure Food and Wine this Thursday! I just made my reservation and I am completely stoked! Solid food finally after 30 days, and such amazing solid food too. Still, I'm even more impressed you've made 85 days now. The finish line is in sight!

Lindsay said...

I just made these last night! I will definitely have to double the batch next time (re: they're almost gone)! We ate them with a mango-pineapple salsa: so amazing and light! Thanks so much, Penni, for sharing these with us -- And in kind to LouLou's question, I made them with whole flax, but I think I will grind them next time to give a finer, crisper chip texture. Thanks so much for your amazing blog and recipes!